Yes, she is right.
in y = m*x + b
b is the initial value or the y-intercept.
If you know that a line has a slope of m (was not given) and a y-intercept of 7, what is the equation for that line in slope-intercept form?
y = m*x + 7
1) Table can be used to find the rate of change and the initial value5
x ------> y
0 -------> 3
1 ------> 5
2 ------> 7
Rate of change (Slope) =
= 2/1 = 2
Rate of change = 2
Y intercept is the point where x=0
So y = 3 from the table.
2) Attached the graph of a line
Rate of change =
= = 2
3) slope = and a y-intercept = 7
Equation of a line y= mx + b
Where m is the slope and b is the y intercept
Replace slope m and y intercept
m= 2/3, b= 7
Equation of a line : y = x + 7
4) Carson has $450 in his bank account and deposits $70 per month out of his babysitting money.
Initial amount in the bank (y intercept) b= $450
Deposited amount = 70 that is the slope m= 70
So the equation y = mx+ b , where x is the month
y = 70x + 450
Carson’s bank balance f(x) = 70x + 450
5) the graph of straight line is linear. In the graph x<1 that is (-infinity , 1) is linear.
The graph with curved line is non linear.In the graph x>1 that is (1, infinity ,) is non linear.
The graph is attached below.